What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The Nun’s Story is a superb screen version of a devout best-seller.

The Nun's Story (1959)

Released: 18 Jul 1959
Rated: Approved
Runtime: 149 min

Director: Fred Zinnemann
Genre: Drama

Cast: Audrey Hepburn, Peter Finch, Edith Evans
Writer(s): Robert Anderson, Kathryn Hulme

Plot: After leaving a wealthy Belgian family to become a nun, Sister Luke struggles with her devotion to her vows during crisis, disappointment, and World War II.

IMDB rating: 7.5
MetaScore: 78

Disc Information

Studio: Warner Brothers
Distributed By: Warner Archive
Video Resolution: 1080P/AVC

Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
Audio: English 2.0 DTS-HDMA

Subtitles: English SDH...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I very much want that film in my collection. Possibly Anthony Franciosa's best performance.
Alas, it's a Fox film. The only way to see it in its OAR is via the Amazon stream. All other streaming services offer the P&S version only.
The acting is superb throughout.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I found it a very difficult depressing film to get through. I think growing up Catholic had something to do with it. A great film but I was astounded it was a huge hit at Radio City. It seemed certainly not for the Music Hall/summer tourist crowd. It is so unsparing. Bizarrely the stage show included an Alaskan earthquake and everything going up in fire finale which sounds like fun but not with this film. I read Zinnemann wanted no Catholic actresses to play the nuns. Perhaps they would have wanted to give their characters more warmth than he wanted.

I could have throttled Pauline Kael for giving away the ending.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
I found it a very difficult depressing film to get through. I think growing up Catholic had something to do with it. A great film but I was astounded it was a huge hit at Radio City. It seemed certainly not for the Music Hall/summer tourist crowd. It is so unsparing. Bizarrely the stage show included an Alaskan earthquake and everything going up in fire finale which sounds like fun but not with this film. I read Zinnemann wanted no Catholic actresses to play the nuns. Perhaps they would have wanted to give their characters more warmth than he wanted.

I could have throttled Pauline Kael for giving away the ending.

The original trailer also kinda sort of gave away the ending (I guess movie trailers in those days were less concerned about spoilers than they are today).

Daniel_BB

Agent
Real Name
Daniel BARBIEUX
About the score, it was recorded in stereophonic sound in Italy.

Attachments

• Nun's.jpg
    Nun's.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 38

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
About the score, it was recorded in stereophonic sound in Italy.

From what I’ve read over at Film Score Monthly, Waxman made some revisions back in Hollywood (these apparently only survive in mono, as is typical for Warner scores for these period). That CD (which I’m pleased to say I own) primarily uses Waxman’s original compositions. Steve Hoffman also gave a very interesting account of how he managed to salvage the stereo masters used for that disc.

Daniel_BB

Agent
Real Name
Daniel BARBIEUX
From what I’ve read over at Film Score Monthly, Waxman made some revisions back in Hollywood (these apparently only survive in mono, as is typical for Warner scores for these period). That CD (which I’m pleased to say I own) primarily uses Waxman’s original compositions. Steve Hoffman also gave a very interesting account of how he managed to salvage the stereo masters used for that disc.

The complete score was also available a few years ago but I think it is a bootleg. The score is in mono.

Attachments

• Booklet Rear.JPG
    Booklet Rear.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 32
  • Booklet Front.JPG
    Booklet Front.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 37

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
The complete score was also available a few years ago but I think it is a bootleg. The score is in mono.
the film and music score are outstanding. I had copy of the bootleg as mentioned but it rotted away within 12 months !!!!!!!!!! the official CD is still playing fine. Waxman was ever so good a composer.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
the film and music score are outstanding. I had copy of the bootleg as mentioned but it rotted away within 12 months !!!!!!!!!! the official CD is still playing fine. Waxman was ever so good a composer.

It’s a pity Warner is so difficult to deal with nowadays with regards to its music branch. Otherwise, I would love a complete and remastered version of this fine score.

PaulRossen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Rossen
It’s a pity Warner is so difficult to deal with nowadays with regards to its music branch. Otherwise, I would love a complete and remastered version of this fine score.
The shorter, legit release is a much better listening experience than the unauthorized, complete score.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
The shorter, legit release is a much better listening experience than the unauthorized, complete score.

Looking at the booklet of said unauthorized release posted above, I’m sure it doesn’t help that the alternates are placed within the program immediately after the versions used instead of placing them in a bonus section as is usually done on legit releases. I would still like to see a remastered edition from either Intrada or LLL if Warner starts cooperating with the soundtrack labels (the legit release was done more than 30 years ago and could probably use a sonic upgrade).

Jeff Fearnside

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Fearnside
If this is better placed in another thread, any moderators may feel free to move it, but since it's come up in this thread, I'll ask a question here: When a studio buys the music rights for a film, are those rights only for the run of the initial theatrical release? What about a theatrical re-release? I've never heard of such a re-release being held up because of music rights issues. Yet from what I'm reading here, it sounds like every time a film is reproduced in another iteration (DVD, Blu-ray, 4K UHD-BD), the music rights have to be cleared and purchased again. Seriously? It's not written in the initial contracts that the studios can reproduce films in different iterations and keep the same non-exclusive music rights that allowed the film to be made in the first place?

Apologies for my ignorance on this. It just seems a cumbersome way to do business!

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I am sure others who are more knowledgeable will weigh in, but what I have read is that since home video did not exist when the contract was written, those rights were not included in the contract. Home video was not even a concept when this movie was made. Many TV shows (i.e. WKRP in Cincinnati) were affected as well; broadcast and re-runs were covered, but not home video -- or cable TV, which also required its own clearances.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I am sure others who are more knowledgeable will weigh in, but what I have read is that since home video did not exist when the contract was written, those rights were not included in the contract. Home video was not even a concept when this movie was made. Many TV shows (i.e. WKRP in Cincinnati) were affected as well; broadcast and re-runs were covered, but not home video -- or cable TV, which also required its own clearances.
Surely there's no suggestion that the Blu-ray was held up due to music rights issues. As far as I know and recall there is no music in the film other than that contracted by Warner Bros and composed by Franz Waxman is there? It's only when a film used pre-existing music, not owned by the studio and produced prior to the advent of home video, that issues of music clearance arose.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tennispro786
Recent bookmarks