What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A few words about...™ - Vitagraph Comedies -- in Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Vitagraph Studios aka Vitagraph Company of America had its roots in Brooklyn, New York, going back to 1897. In 1925, about the time they produced Captain Blood in 1924, they were purchased by and became part of Warner Bros.

Most of their catalog remains lost, which is reason enough to highlight what I consider to be a passion project by our Library of Congress, as released by Kino.

It's an act that should make every cinephile proud to be paying their taxes.

The series begins with a prologue interviewing important members of the LoC staff, who you just Know are not there for the paycheck. These folks love cinema. You'll find one at the head of every disc.

Spread across three discs, you'll find forty short films, starring actors you've probably never heard of before, but are genuinely funny, and will end the concept that comedy in the cinema began with Chaplin, Keaton et al. Included on the discs, you'll find the work of John Bunny, Frank Daniels, Mr. and Mrs. Sidney Drew, Larry Semon, the team of Montgomery and Rock, and a new discovery for me, Edith Storey, who appeared in over 150 films, retiring in 1921 at the ripe old age of 29. Early in her career she also played male parts, occasionally billed as Dick or Billy Storey. There's a documentary hiding here in plain sight.

Also, for the uninitiated, you discover that silent films did Not run at crazy speeds, were not always filled with scratches, splices and detritus, and could appear quite normal.

The collection culled from the LoC vaults with some help from GEM. Music is created and played by a large selection of musicians including fan favorite Ben Model.

Your purchase of Vitagraph Comedies insures more to come.

Image – n/a

Audio – n/a

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Worth your attention - 10

Slipcover rating - n/a

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

https://www.amazon.com/Vitagraph-Co...id=1715018162&sprefix=vitagraph,aps,83&sr=8-1

Last edited by a moderator:
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Thanks for the review.

Regarding your quote, "Included on the discs, you'll find the work of John Bunny, Frank Daniels, Mr. and Mrs. Sidney Drew, Larry Simon," did you mean to write "Larry Semon," who made a lot of hilarious one-and-two-reel comedies early in the century? I owned several on 8mm back in the day and, hopefully, I will be able to see one or two again among these great Blu-ray sets.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Thanks for the review.

Regarding your quote, "Included on the discs, you'll find the work of John Bunny, Frank Daniels, Mr. and Mrs. Sidney Drew, Larry Simon," did you mean to write "Larry Semon," who made a lot of hilarious one-and-two-reel comedies early in the century? I owned several on 8mm back in the day and, hopefully, I will be able to see one or two again among these great Blu-ray sets.

Of course. Auto-kerrect apparently didn't like the name.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
On its way to me! Maybe I'll change my opinion of Mr. Semon, not one of my favorites.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks